Friday, November 27, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 48

I expect, like me, most of you have very little to write about, yet we can still find little things to make us smile. In fact it is more important than ever to focus on these happy moments, so here are mine.

First of all, our bathroom is finally finished. They came back this morning to fit the last piece (It was missing from the original package). We are delighted with it, especially the walk-in shower which makes life a lot easier for both of us. The room is fairly small and a difficult shape for taking photos so, as I can't show it off to anyone right now, here is a 22 second video tour.

[I have not added a video this way before, so am not sure whether it will work]

Now that is done, we have asked the same men to do some repair work on our outside plumbing. We did ask a plumber to look at this before and he installed a temporary valve so we could turn it off when we didn't need it, as waste water is very expensive out here, and we knew there was a leak somewhere in the outdoor system. It was a bit inconvenient having to turn it on for the shower every time we used the pool this summer, or to water the plants in all my pots, but we managed. However he is a very busy man, and we had given up hope of him returning to do a proper repair. So when we asked Dave (the bathroom plumber) to look at it, and he said 'Yes', he had the builders on his books to do the digging etc, so he could access the pipes, we asked him to do it.

They arrived early yesterday and worked hard to lift some of the patio tiles at the end of the pool. We knew there was a second leak somewhere near the two skimmer baskets. There was a thick layer of concrete under the tiles so it was no easy task.

They dug a deep trench to get below the skimmers and finally found the problem pipe. It was way too long, (Had it expanded since it was installed some 15+years ago? Who knows?), but it had two tight folds in it, so no wonder the water couldn't flow through it.
They replaced the pipe, and filled in the trench, and intended to return to day to re-tile it. Unfortunately, because the house is fairly old, the tiles are no longer produced, so they are going to patch a neat area with plain ones that are similar in colour to the originals. But last night the heavens opened and we had A LOT of rain. It was still coming down this morning so of course the work cannot be completed yet! Typical! We get about a month of rain each year here, and it has to fall just as we have the garden dug up. But never mind. They will finish when they can, and we are not exactly using the pool right now.

Meanwhile Dave started looking for the leak down the other end of the pool between the pool shower and the temporary tap in the front yard. Fortunately it turned out to be in the actual plumbing of the shower, so he is fitting a new tap and shower head, and then re-tiling it, and it was not necessary to dig up the front yard as we had feared. That job is also on hold because of the weather, but the sky is brightening up so he will be back soon to finish it.

So that was the excitement for this week. Monday was the only sunny day and I caught this lovely pink-orange cloud at sundown, the last bit of sunshine we have seen this week. But of course, the ground desperately needs the rain so we are not bothered that it has inconvenienced us a little this week. We have a warm house and plenty to keep us busy indoors, so there is still lots to be grateful for.

I am happy to say that so far our postal service is still working quite well during lock-down. I have received several little packets this week, mainly small craft items, and some larger ones from couriers. On Tuesday I had some lovely squishy parcels which contained the yarn for my next project, another blanket made from 18 inch squares, which are a nice size for me to handle. Aren't the colours delicious?
These are slow-changing colours. The yarn has three strands and the colours change one strand at a time so you move gradually from one to the next. As you can see I have started work on the first square and it looks as though it is solid yellow, but very soon the orange and pink will be introduced. I am supposed to be able to make three squares from each ball, so we will see how it goes. The third one will start quite dark pink and end up deep blue on the outer rounds. The pattern is sufficiently complex that I shouldn't get bored making it over and over so many times.

This has cropped up on Facebook a few times this week, and it has made me smile. 

But really I am quite sad that many of our usual Christmas carol services, crib services, and other events that make this such a wonderful season, will not take place this year. We are in a tight lock-down until 10th December, but I am hoping we will be able to have some sort of celebratory service after that. But even if there is no 'Nativity' this year, it is still "the reason for the season",  and we will be making it as happy and special an occasion as we can. 
I am looking forward to putting the decorations up very soon. We have used the same artificial Christmas tree since our boys were in primary school and the oldest one is fifty next year. I have kept it going for nostalgic reasons but it is getting a bit sad, and I am also struggling to dress it as it is too big for me now. So we had agreed to buy a bit smaller one this year and we were all set to go to the ferriteria (A general hardware, garden and household items shop) to buy one as soon as the lock-down was relaxed. Unfortunately instead of being relaxed, it was if anything made tighter. Even our workmen were stopped by police when they went that way for some materials, and questioned as to why they weren't using the builders merchant in the village - who doesn't happen to stock what they wanted! So we knew we weren't going to be allowed to go there. So in the end I have ordered one from Amazon, and it is arriving on Tuesday. It was hard to chose without seeing it, and you can't always trust the photos online, so I am hoping it will be thick enough to look good when I have decorated it. Expect some photos next week! 
For now I will link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles. Keep looking for those positive moments and keep smiling.



7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate you're so right, the only exciting thing this week is that I have a man in making me a new path down to the cabin Lol! Our postal service is still working too but I seem to have been waiting a while for some craft stuff to arrive, maybe today. Christmas is going to be different this year but hopefully if people are sensible maybe next year will be better. Take care and have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Kate, I am not sure if I left you a comment, but I seem to have forgotten to mention a LOT. That yarn sounds lovey, even if I don't knit or crochet anymore. It is really quite unique, too.

I couldn't believe how bunched up that pipe was. Your plumber is a jewel.

I wish we were in lockdown in the states. I laughed at the funny image that is obviously for all of Europe.

I hope you get the tree you want. I don't have room for a large tree and I have stopped moving furniture to the basement in order to set one up in my living room. I use table top trees instead. Sorry I hope I told you your video link doesn't work, but I am not even sure I left you a comment. I'm in need of coffee, I fear.

Here's a great link to Xeriscaping:

https://www.thespruce.com/xeriscape-landscaping-meaning-2131129

I was mostly interested in designs for my front yard, so this one interested me:

https://pistoncars.com/50-fabulous-xeriscape-front-yard-design-ideas-pictures-11232

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just found the link I thought I had sent. Instead, I got called away and didn't realize I hadn't sent this. Some days I can be such a dufus.

You started out saying you had VERY LITTLE going on at your place this week and ended with LOTS going on. BTW, your link to the video didn't work.

Annie said...

I'm so pleased for you that the bathroom is completed...sadly the video doesn't work for me. It's good to hear your plumber is also sorting out the problems outside for you [weather permitting]. Love the new wool...I love colour changing yarns to work with.
Stay safe and well.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

How wonderful that your bathroom is now finished. A walk-in shower is such a good invention. I Holland we always had wet rooms and walk-in showers so I'm used to it. Then in the UK we had the shower over the bath. I hated it and was always afraid I would fall getting in and out of it. So hurray for walk-in showers!
What a good man is Dave! Fantastic that he could tackle the leak problem as well. I was really aghast when I saw those pipes all bent and mangled.
Your colour changing yarn looks really beautiful.
I do hope your Xmas tree arrives in time. We still have an old one too, but we haven't used it in many years as we always go to Holland.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

I know the relief and pleasure when a bathroom is finished! Unfortunately the video link did not work for me. Those were some twists in the outdoor plumbing!! Enjoy the rain, despite the fact it slows things down :)
My Christmas will be quiet this year too, but not thanks to Covid, mainly because family are going to the 'other side' of their families.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Ah hun I hear you on the tighter restrictions, our national lockdown is about to end but we've ended up in tier 3 so apart from the shops opening there really is very little else that will change for us at the moment. I'm glad you've managed to get some of your plumbing issues sorted, I'm hoping your weather eases so you can actually get all the jobs finished, that pipe was seriously bent, its a wonder any water flowed through it. I bet you are over the moon with your bathroom, I clicked the button but it didn't work for me. I too am wondering what I'm going to manage to fill my journal this Christmas with, there are no markets, little in the way of open venues etc. So I'm a bit stuck as to what we will be able to do. I hope you have a lovely week.

Hugs

PS Sorry I'm late, the exhaustion this weekend has been extreme and I'm back at work tomorrow - gulp