Friday, November 6, 2020

Rocking YOUR World 2020; Week 45

So, has this week had some golden moments for you? I do hope so. If it has, why not follow me to share them on Annie's Friday Smiles or Rocking Your World on Virginia's blog.

I think the highlight of my week was being told I could now share some exciting news. Our fourth son, Jonathan and his wife Ella, are expecting their first baby in April. It is not the best world to be bringing a new life into, but they are so excited and so am I. I have known for a while, but I promised not to say anything until they had had their next scan. That happened last week and they were told the baby is fine, Ella is healthy, and it is a low-risk pregnancy, so now they are sharing the news with their friends, and have said I can talk about it too.Let's hope we are in a better place by next April. Her next scan is on 20th of this month and then we should know whether it is a girl or boy.

On Wednesday we knew rain was forecast for late evening, so we weren't surprised to be woken up in the early hours by thunder and lightening, and heavy rain. It continued on and off all day though only as intermittent light showers. It is the first proper rain we have had for months so we are expecting the green zone to suddenly become green again. It was very much needed.
It was not perhaps the weather we would have chosen as yesterday the men arrived to start on our bathroom. This is a picture I took the day before when I had stripped it of all but essentials.
It was impossible to take one of the whole room from the doorway, so this is the corner in the front left of the one above, showing the bit that I couldn't see from the doorway.
The first thing the men did was remove most of the 'furniture' and strip the tiles from the walls and floors. Apparently when they work in newer houses, the tiles almost 'jump off the walls'. Well ours weren't jumping at all, and it took a lot of work with hammers and drills to get this far. Sufficient to say we had a very noisy day.

I took this one when they went off for some lunch. By the end of the day they had just about cleared the walls and floor, and removed the patches of cement, so today they are filling the floor holes from the new plumbing, replacing some badly worn pipes, and putting in the shower tray, and tomorrow morning they are coming back to tile the walls. I admire the Spanish work ethic. When they start a job they crack on and only stop for a short coffee, and then a lunch break. The tilers are two Spanish men who work for the English company contracted for the whole job. It is run by a lovely couple we have got to know quite well. The wife, and her father draw the plans and work out the estimates, her husband does all the plumbing, and a second English man does any building, assembles cabinets etc. They must be a good team for three of them to mange to work together in our fairly small bathroom. It is good to see it getting done.

My only other photos are from the garden, taken on a greyish day, but before the rain came. I just happened to notice that the bright pink bougainvillea that we cut back quite hard a few weeks ago, is now growing again, and has some lovely new flowers on it. Rather like the rhododendrons in UK, the one with mauve flowers is the common one and grows like a weed all over the place. This is the one we have finally got under control, outside my kitchen window. But I always wanted one of the bright pink ones, and one day I saw a sad little cutting in the corner of the garden centre. It was really only a bare stick, with a couple of leaves on it and I think we paid 1€ for it. I took it home and gave it lots of TLC, and when I was fairly sure it would survive, Chris planted it just beyond our back railings so I could encourage it to grow up a fence there, and along the railings, which it has now done. And for most of the year it now has flowers on, and is a riotous patch of colour even on the grey days.

I am happy to say the number of active virus cases in the village has almost halved, so hopefully the outbreak is now under control. Of course we are still taking great care. And our province , along with major cities, have closed their borders, so I thought I would show you how this is enforced!
Of course this is only possible because we have far fewer main roads leading in and out of our towns and cities than you do, and it is an extreme measure,only used in the worst affected areas. Usually a policeman waving you down to check on the reason for your journey is sufficient.
And to end on a happy note, here a picture that caught my eye when  a friend posted it on Facebook. Those who know me well will understand why I like it. I wouldn't want to make it, but I understand it was a joint effort. I don't know the location. I believe I saw it, or something similar, last year, but I just had to have a second look.
So I will link this up now, (links at top of post), and see you all next week.






6 comments:

Annie said...

Your bougainvillea makes me smile every week. I really love it's bright colours and it makes me think of warm weather...sadly not what we have here. I bet you can't wait to have your new bathroom finished...it's so exciting as is the news of the new expectant family member. Fingers crossed all goes well.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

That certainly is a very special Christmas tree! Aren't you glad you don't have to do it.
Congratulations to Jonathan and Ella! That is wonderful news. I can understand you are all very excited.
The pink bougainvillea looks absolutely stunning. I wish they would grow here, but our winters are too cold.
I'm sure there are roadblocks here too, but we have not ventured outside our village territory, as we have no business to. Apparently our village has quite a few cases. Too many really for the amount of people living here. So we are not going out much. We visited our friends who live very isolated in the campo, and we wear masks when we see our lodgers downstairs. My gym is distanced, and we don't come near each other. Our poor teacher has to disinfect each machine in between each person when we do circuit training.
I'm looking forward to seeing the updates on the bathroom. That too is very exciting.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Before I forget, that is ONE CLEVER WAY to assemble granny squares! Yes, I smiled big when I saw that. I also smiled when I saw your beautiful bougainvillea. Really lovely colors and you must have a green thumb or great soil.

Congrats on becoming a grandmother again soon. It's great that your DIL and the baby are healthy and you are all excited about it.

Good luck with the bath remodel. Must be a very hard job to get rid of those tiles. I helped remove tiles once too, and, like yours, they were put on to STAY, not jump off. I hope you'll share photos when it's complete.

Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend and week, Kate. Just think. I'm here while it's still Friday (grin)!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. Sorry I'm late today, been busy making baby journals. Bet you'll be pleased when the bathroom's finished but of course it will be worth it. The flowers are gorgeous, bet you're really pleased with it. I think closing the borders is a good move, in the UK they talk about people not making unnecessary travel but they don't control it so people don't take it seriously. Interesting piece of art work too. Take care and have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

Hi Kate, they are getting on brilliantly with your bathroom, hopefully it will be as good as new soon and youll have a much more functional bathroom with a shower, it is still our goal but we haven't made any headway about getting a quote and for now I can put up with the one we have.

The Christmas tree made me smile very much a labour of love.

I also love that you've managed to rescue a plant and get it to flower so profusely, I remember there being a bright pink one of these outside the hotel we stayed on in Menorca and I always admired it.

I hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Congratulations on becoming a Grand mother again - how exciting :)
I understand about the bathroom - I found a leak in mine mid-way through lockdown - turned out it was an old leak, and the damage extensive! I ended up with half the bathroom and toilet floor(s) removed, and the adjoining wall, before the rebuild could start .... That was costly, but the rebuild is stunning and worth the trouble. How are your animals coping with the noise and poeople?
Your bougainvillea is stunning - love the colour!
Our virus cases are mainly 'border' cases, with the occasional 'community' one, and those are often liked with the Managed Isolation and Quarantine centres. At one point our biggest city had road blocks around it, but overall we currently have pretty free movement around the nation.
That 'tree' is certainly a work of art/love :)
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine