Friday, April 9, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 15

 We woke up to rain again today. We have had quite a lot off and on this week, and though I know the ground is gratefully sucking it up, I am happier when the clouds part and we get an hour or two of sunshine and blue skies. The forecast is for more of the same  next week too, so we will grab our chances to sit outside when we can, and keep busy in the house the rest of the time.
But last weekend the days did start sunny so on Saturday I went for a walk around the village. As I walk out of the top left side of the village there is a stretch of campo before the main road around is reached and it looked so pretty. Every inch was covered in wild flowers of all colours and sizes.
Although many folk would call them weeds, I love all the trumpet flowers on the various forms of bindweed. This one has opened up everywhere. It is the ground bindweed, and it spreads over rough ground and up railings with its pretty little pink flowers.

On Easter Sunday morning, as I opened the window in the sitting room, I saw our first rose bud opening. Hopefully it is the first of many, but it was so perfect I had to take a photo.

Also our Easter Lily had a flower on the right day for once. These are water plants so in a pot they require a lot of attention and I have nearly lost this several times. It really needs to move to a bigger pot now. You can just see the last of the blue squills lost under its leaves. I guess they should have their own pot too.

The pot of pinks are starting to flower too. They grew from a small stem cutting I took a few years ago, and every year they come back and flower for months. So pretty. One of my succulents that has long stems of trailing yellow daisies is photo-bombing this picture too.

As I have not yet returned to our church, I watched the service from my son's church in Sydenham. I do watch it online most weeks, but this week they planned a service in the church grounds and they were so lucky. The sun shone for them and it was not too cold. They had to spread out and observe social distancing, but because they were outside, they were able to sing some of the lovely traditional Easter hymns and I sang along with them. The churchyard is full of tall trees and the birds joined in the singing too.

Yesterday started rainy like today and when I let the dogs through the gate to the back for their food, I got a shower from the pink bougainvillea which is looking amazing again now. When I looked at it, I found the pink bracts seem to hold on to the water droplets that would just roll off most plants, so again I fetched my camera to catch a picture. They look lovely.

The week has passed quickly despite not doing very much. I am working on a craft project for later in the year so I have made the most of the chance to get on with that. 
On Sunday I enjoyed a chat with all five of our sons together using jit-si. I've not used it before but Jim sent me a link so I just had to log in, It was clear pictures, and fun  to chat to them all together. Mike had his daughter and grandsons with him and they had built a water slide in the garden and were having lots of fun. Ben relaxed in the garden and was getting quite pink in the sun. The next day they sent me videos of a snow blizzard! I don't know what is happening to the weather. It all seems very confused. 

I can't resist adding one more photo of our newest grand-daughter, having a cuddle with her 'besotted' daddy. Her name is Asiling Rose, which is very pretty and reflects our Irish heritage. They are learning the delights of sleepless nights at the minute but she will settle down soon I am sure. It doesn't seem any time since he was that size!
And on that note I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. See you all next week.


 

5 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for making me smile Kate. Your gorgeous little granddaughters really made my heart sing and what a pretty name too. I always love sharing the gorgeous photos of the plants around where you live....we have lots of tiny violets around our garden that grow like weeds but they make me smile every time I see a new one popping up. I used to always pick a bunch for my Grandma when I was a little girl 🥰🥰🥰
Have a great week filled with smiles Kate.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. Of course a weed is only a plant in the wrong place so if you like them where they are then they are no longer weeds just wild flowers. All your flowers are looking gorgeous but our garden seems a bit sparse at the moment but I'm sure things will pick up soon. Nice to see them having the church service outside. To be honest the weather is actually quite normal so don't worry, we have had snow at Easter before but it doesn't tend to stay very long. We were at my mother's checking the house when it started and it covered all the lawn but disappeared before we left. This time of the year is always unpredictable though we don't tend to get so much where we live now. Beautiful baby. It will be interesting to find out how many babies have been born in the last twelve months as there seem to be a lot more around than usual. Have a nice weekend, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

What a gorgeous granddaughter! That is a really lovely picture with her besotted daddy.
All your flowers are beautiful, especially the rose. I love bougainvillea but it won't grow here (too cold).
How wonderful that your son's service (I assume it was the Easter service) could be outside so they could sing and perhaps have a few more people gathering.
Yes, I saw that more bad weather is on the way. Ugh!
Have a great weekend whatever the weather,
Hugs,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Yes we've definitely had typical random British weather this week, I was at work when it decided to snow - honestly the weather is madness! Your plants are looking beautiful and how fantastic to discover a new rose on Easter sunday, it is a beautiful colour too. I'm glad you were able to join in a service and catch up with your family and the photo of your new grand-daughter is lovely, hopefully like you said the sleepless nights decrease soon.

Have a lovely weekend and week ahead

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Awwww, what a sweet final photo - thanks for that Kate.
We are also having unsettled weather, but that is to be expected with it being well into autumn here.
Your plant photos are gorgeous - especially the bougainvillea.
How wonderful for your son's church to be able to celebrate their Easter service outdoors.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine