Friday, April 23, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021; Week 17

How fast the weeks are flying past. I can't believe it is Friday again already. 

Our weather is still unsettled and we have had rain and even some thunder storms this week, but also some nice periods of sunshine.

Sunday started off lovely so we ate our dinner out on the porch and then went for another walk along the sea front.

It was warm enough to walk in short sleeved T-shirts but a bit windy so the sea was quite 'lively' and I like it like that.
Again we were a bit too early in the afternoon to meet many other walkers, and as you can see the beach was deserted.
I often show photos of the Cabrera mountains as seen from our garden, so here they are from the other side, as seen from the beach. On Sunday they had a layer of clouds gathering at the summit.
We started our walk near the beginning of Mojacar Playa, and all along the water front there are beds of flowers. At this time year you can't miss their vivid colours like these orangey-yellow daisies...
...and the shocking pink pelargoniums. These were in flower everywhere and didn't seem to mind the strong wind or salty air.
Of course the cacti thrive in this environment too. There are a lot of these tall ones along there, and at this time of year, they all produce these nodules. I am not sure whether they are flowers or fruit.
We walked a long way until the path ran out, and as we did not want to go down onto the sand we decided to turn back. We both wanted a drink so we stopped at a bar we have not seen before. It may be new this season or it may have had a 'face-lift', but it looked nice so we went in and found an empty table.

We had the first table inside the gates on the right, and we could look past the couple on the next table to see the sea.
To the right of us there was a long bar and beyond that a long 'plancha' or grill plate. The chef was cooking tapas and full meals to order and he didn't stop once while we were there. We had just eaten our Sunday roast, so we didn't want a meal, but the food looked very nice so maybe we will go back another day to try it. Instead we just ordered our drinks and I had my first tinto verano of the year. Tinto verano means Summer wine and it is red wine mixed with lemonade, ice and a lemon slice. Most commercial bars have it on a pump during the summer, or ready mixed in individual bottles, but if you go in a small rural bar where they mix it for you, you sometimes get a splash of vermouth added. It was very refreshing after our walk, and set us up nicely for the walk back to the car. Soon after we got home the rain started, so we were glad we had gone early.

I was happy to see the warmth and rain had woken up our little mauve daisies. This is a ground-cover plant we bought from the cactus garden in Nijar that we visited back in 2019. I bought a little piece in a pot and the man told us it would cover a square metre in a year. I planted it into a big pot on our top step and sure enough it quickly grew to cover the top of the pot and then tumbled down all around it. This autumn it needed to be cut back and I planted stems of it in various other pots and window boxes and they all seem to have taken. Now the flowers are just opening and soon it will be covered with them. They are a bit smaller and paler than they were the first year, but still very pretty.

Although we don't eat lots of curries, I do make it once or twice a month and we both like poppadoms with mango chutney, but since Brexit I have not been able to buy this anywhere. There are plenty of mangoes out here, but I have never seen the chutney on their salsa shelves. So I did a google search and found a few recipes. I was pleased to find that I already had almost all the ingredients in my cupboard, so I only had to buy the mangoes and a new bottle of distilled vinegar. That is something else the Spanish don't use at all, preferring apple or white wine vinegar, but I did manage to find some yesterday. There were a lot of different spices in the recipe so here are my ingredients all set to go.

Of course the bit that took the time was preparing four large mangoes, but a Sudanese lady who used to work for me in my nursery, taught me the best way to do this, and soon it was bubbling away.
The black specks you can see are Nigella seeds, or black cumin seeds. This was a spice I didn't have already, and it was unfamiliar to me. I know Nigella as pretty little blue flowers called love-in-the-mist, which may be the plant these seeds came from but these were grown in the "fertile plains by the River Nile". I had not heard of them before and have never seen them in our shops, but the recipe said that although they are not essential they do add something special to the chutney, so I went online and sure enough Amazon had them and delivered them the next day. They kept boiling up to the top in the pan, but when it was made they mixed in fine. Apparently they add 'Indian authenticity' to any curry, which is just as well as I have lots of them!
When it was cooked until the fruit was soft, I pureed half of it to thicken the mixture, and quickly reduced the remaining syrup to give a good consistency and I now have two jars of chutney and two boxes to freeze away. This was recommended to prolong its keeping ability. It tastes really good but is a bit 'hotter' than I am used to. I think if I make it again I will halve the chilli I put in it!
I had a very pungent kitchen last night but I left the extractor fan on for a while and it has mostly gone now.

This week did include our 42nd wedding anniversary on Tuesday. We had a quiet day. We have never made a 'big thing' of anniversaries though we do acknowledge them to one another, so we just enjoyed a peaceful day in one another's company. This year it got a bit more public notice than usual, as our 40th anniversary, (which was a bit special) came up as a 'memory' on my Facebook page so I shared it again. 

As well as my usual video call with Ben and Tom, earlier in the week, we had a zoom chat with Jonathan and Ella last night and a very sleepy baby Aisling. She is settling down now. On Wednesday she had her 'tongue-tie' cut so she should be able to feed more easily now. I didn't see Jonathan as a particularly 'baby' person, but he has proved me wrong and is taking his turn at night feeding and nappy changing and is obviously thrilled with her. He goes back to work next week, and Ella will miss him, but I am sure she will soon have a routine worked out.

Chris has just left to collect our weekly treat from Miraflores camp site - a fish and chip takeaway dinner, so I had better go and put the kettle on for our cuppa. I will just link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles before I go.



8 comments:

Annie said...

I love the views from your walk...the sea and skies look soooo blue 🥰🥰. That in itself is enough to make me smile. Your chutney sounds really yummy and am sure will go down well with your curries.
Hugs,
Annie x

craftyani said...

Hi Kate, the Bahia bar has been there a number of years but think it gets overlooked by the better known ones. Their food was good last time I visited.
Ann.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. Here in Lincoln we would love some rain as everything is drying up. It is a county that is quite dry but we normally get some rain about now. Lovely and sunny today. We haven't been to Spain for a long time but when we did we usually went over Easter which is my favourite time as the flowers are out and it's not too hot though I think the locals thought it was cold as they were usually wrapped up in their fur coats. It's lovely to see you enjoying the sunshine all we can hope for is that people are sensible and the bar you called at look as though they certainly are trying to be. Happy belated Anniversary to you both too. I'm impressed with the chutney, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to making it as it's so ready available in the Supermarket here. Believe it or not we are having a Curry tonight that we got from the Supermarket so hope we've still got the chutney left from last time! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

Oh, you have blue skies! We have had cloudy cold weather for several days. Not nice.
Well done you for attempting the mango chutney. It looks very nice. But you made an enormous quantity. If your freezer gets too full, you can always sell it at the church.
I had heard of Nigella seeds, but have never seen them (or used them). I thought at first they had something to do with Nigella Lawson (who writes cookery books).
Interesting to see your 'ground cover plant'. Very pretty. Can you remember what it is called? Our winters are probably too cold for that sort of thing.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Before I forget, happy belated 42nd anniversary. That is one incredible milestone. So glad you got to visit with your children via Zoom. That has also become a phenomenon that no one saw coming.

Your beach walk was fabulous. Right off the bat, I saw beautiful palms in that windswept beach area. Loved seeing flowers from your area, too. Most of these I'm unfamiliar with.

Your chutney sounds HOT. I am glad you showed us how you made it. I hope you had a great Friday and are enjoying your weekend, too. I sure enjoyed this post and your beautiful town, beach, and flowers.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh what a fabulous sounding chutney that is!!
Your wee, creepy, plant looks beautiful and sounds as though it may take over your garden with all the cuttings you struck.:)
Your walk was timely, and sounds wonderful - especially your drink.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lynn Holland said...

I’m so envious of you enjoying some normality. I’m looking forward to going to the pub or even a cafe for a meal properly with friends. We sat out alfresco today at our favourite tearoom. We just caught lucky with the weather as it was cold and cloudy in the morning.
The chutney sounds like a winner Kate.
Enjoy your week
Lynn xx

Celtic house said...

Morning Kate, apologies for my tardiness I'm sure it was just Friday and yet I sit here and it is Sunday already.

You seem to have had a lovely week, your beach walk looks lovely and a refreshing drink as well before your walk back looks idyllic, I'm glad you managed to dodge the rain drops.

Your plant is definitely doing well, I'm finding one particular window in the house has a bit of a 'greenhouse' affect so I'm alternating plants to get them to flower and enjoy the sunshine we get on the front of the house late afternoon.

Your mango chutney looks amazing and I'm guessing the little black specks in the ones we buy are the aforementioned nigella seeds.

I saw you anniversary post on Facebook, similar to us you had a quiet day.

I hope you've had a good weekend up to now and hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Hugs