Friday, April 2, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021:Week 14

I have a big smile on my face this week and here's why. You may remember that exactly two years ago on Good Friday, I posted a picture of the rainbow cotton baby blanket I had just finished. 

I made it in the hope it would one day be needed. And my hope was not in vain. Here it is wrapped snugly around our new Grand-daughter, just three hours after she was born at 5.30 last night. Her mum had a bit of a tough time, but she is here now and both are doing fine.

She will help to address the balance in our very male-oriented family -- five sons, six grandsons and two step grandsons, two great grandsons, and just one other grand-daughter! (And three lovely daughters-in-law).

I have been waiting for this news all week, and the rest of the time has passed at home, doing a bit of crafting, cooking, local shopping and sitting on the porch relaxing. For what is usually a very big week here in Spain, the village is very quiet. There will be a special mass at the village church today and on Easter Sunday, but none of the usual processions can take place.

Yesterday I had a busy day in the kitchen. Our little tree is heavy with lemons and I really want to use some of them so I made some lemon curd. It is so nice, but it has a very short shelf life so I cut the ingredients right down and just made two little jars of it, which hopefully we can use before it goes off. It is actually very easy to do so I can more at any time.
While I was making that, my dough was rising ready to make hot-cross buns. I do these every year because we really like them, and they are very yummy!
I was a bit disappointed in my Tarta de Santiago last week so I found another recipe and decided to have another go. The ingredients were similar but in different proportions and the method was different. This time I am really pleased with it. It is light and tasty, and looks how it should.

Finally I mixed up a container of muesli. Occasionally I treat myself to a rather expensive box of 'really nutty' muesli which I love, but not only is it expensive, but also I doubt whether I will even get it again as it is imported from UK. (Most shops that sell 'English' style food seem to be importing from Ireland since Brexit).
So I have an old recipe for muesli which I like and I added chopped dates in place of sultanas, and quite a generous amount of sunflower seeds and mixed, chopped nuts. So that's my breakfast sorted for a while. Sometimes I add a few blueberries or raspberries if I have them, and a natural yoghurt, and it sets me up well for the day.

So that was a good day well spent.

At this time of year I need to water the citrus trees quite often and start to fertilize them, and I noticed that our little orange tree is covered with blossom. Much of this will be blown away in the high winds we always get in April, but the tree couldn't carry that much fruit anyway. It is a late orange, usually ready around March the next year, and it is a large very well flavoured fruit, so we are pleased if it manages to keep about a dozen right through the summer and autumn. Here's hoping...
When I go out at night to call the cats in, the air is full of the scent of orange blossom.

I went out to look for Tolly one day and found him up on top of a high storage cupboard outside the kitchen, and he was sitting across Tango. They looked so cute together and they both seemed quite relaxed, but needless to say it didn't last.

And now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and 
Rocking Your World. 
Wishing you all every blessing for Easter, and leaving you with this little Easter Bunny. Isn't nature wonderful! 





6 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Kate your Easter bunny is amazing...nature really is wonderful. Congratulations on the birth of the latest addition to your family....she’s a lucky little girl. I can smell your orange blossom from here...atichoo! 😀 I hope your hot cross buns tasted as good as they look...we make do with shop bought ones.
Have a wonderful Easter.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, pleased to see your blanket is now in use. It's funny how some families have more boys while others have more girls. My friend has three girls and no boys and her daughter has given birth recently and that was a girl though of course it's nothing to do with the ladies what sex we have it is completely dependent on the little swimmers. Looks like you've been busy with the baking again....very nice. Loving the bunny tree, it's so unusual. Have a lovely Easter. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

What a wonderful (natural) Easter bunny!
Wow, you have been busy. I was inspired by your hot cross buns and am making them this morning. The dough is proving as I type. I have tried to make them once before and they were a disaster. This time I am more hopeful, although the recipe is more elaborate, it will be well worth it when they're done.
Your muesli sounds delicious. Do you soak it overnight or do you eat it as is?
I'm glad you mentioned the British items now come from Ireland. That is a great relief. I hadn't thought about it much but as I could see the bottom of my gravy box and wondered where the next one would come from.
Lovely photo of Tolly and Tango. I bet that didn't last long!
We've watched a lovely Good Friday service from our Bristol church (Woodlands Church) and I'm looking forward to having my friend and her husband over for Easter morning to sing worship songs together to praise the Lord and thank Him for his sacrifice.
Wishing you a happy Easter,
I hope you have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Virginia said...

Ah congratulations on the addition to the family and a girl as well the blanket obviously came into good use. Your lemon curd looks lovely as do the hot cross buns I haven't had one this year as I'm trying to be good but I do so love them. I'm glad you managed to resolve your recipe, it looks lovely (but then so did the other one). Loving the photo of Tolly and Tango seriously cute, I hope you have a beautiful and blessed Easter weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh what a beautiful Easter gift is your Grand daughter - and what a beautiful blanket to be wrapped in!! Made with so much love too!
I delightfully domesticated week with some fabulous results - I am currently without a kitchen as it is being replaced... fun, and very little cooking is being done, and a lot of eating out with family:)
Love the photo of the cats, although Tango is looking a bit miffed...
Your wee orange tree is certainly smothered with flowers!!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Many congratulation on the birth of your gorgeous new granddaughter. Grandchildren are such a blessing and she'll bring you such joy. Your blanket is beautiful and I'm so pleased that it will now be used. The colours are wonderful x