Friday, October 1, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 40

Well it is almost the end of the week again. I am writing this on Thursday as I need to do some shopping tomorrow morning. This is the time when we look back at the week and find the things that  have made us smile and that we are grateful for, so I thought this poster I spotted this week was very apt.

The lovely red apples reminded me of Harvest festival which is my favourite service of the year at our church. I had fully intended to go to it last Sunday. It would have been my first time back after the pandemic, but circumstances conspired against me so I didn't get there, but a friend did collect some food contributions from me which I was pleased about as they will contribute to the bags of food made up for Zurgena Town Hall to distribute to the most needy families in the area. We don't usually accept fresh produce at the harvest which is a shame, but there is usually a time lag between the Sunday service and the parcels being assembled and delivered, and then distributed, so it is not practical. But this year the Town Hall did ask for fresh fruit and vegetables for the children in their village school, and seventeen bags full were duly delivered on Monday morning. So that was all very positive.

But when I went to the market in our village on Tuesday I was delighted to see the newly harvested vegetables there, including the first of the new season's oranges and tangerines. Last week the market was washed out by the storms, and as there is little other fresh produce available in local shops, I was down to my last carrot and a couple of apples, so I was happy to stock up again this week. When I got home I spread my purchases out on the kitchen table and had my own little 'Harvest festival' at home. Don't they look lovely.

We have been having problems with the car and on Wednesday we took it down to our mechanic to hopefully fix it. He lives on the campo, through the urbanisation Huerta Nueva which is across the main road from our village, and then on a bit. He did offer to run us home again but we decided the walk would do us good.  It was fairly early still so the sun was low and we cast long shadows as we walked.

It probably took us just over half an hour to get home and the exercise did do us good.  On the last stretch before the main road, the council took out all the rather straggly trees that edged the pathways a couple of years ago, and replaced them with palm trees. They looked pretty 'tatty' when first planted, but we were pleased to see that almost all of them had taken well, and were beginning to look well established. They are Palmetto palms with fan shaped leaves that look like big hands. As the palms die they often stay on the plant but fall down forming a brown petticoat around the trunk. Here they are usaully trimmed away every couple of years by experts who do a fantastic job. As we walked I noticed one in the distance that looked different and had what I thought was dead leaves already falling, but as we got closer I realised that what I could see was big clusters of tiny black and purple fruit, or berries. 

I had never seen fruit on this type of palm before so I looked them up when I got home, and apparently they are quite nutricious and form an important part of the diet for many tribes around the world. They are not juicy, but rather tough and sticky (a bit like a dried date), and each berry divides into two parts which each has a stone in the centre, so you would need to eat a lot of them to fill you up! Now I now they are not poisonous, I will collect a few next time I see them just to try them.

I had a little baking session this week. I am sure most of you will have seen internet adverts for shortbread moulds in a variety of shapes.  We like shortbread, and I did buy one of the rolling pins last year, that is supposed to roll a pattern onto the dough, but I never had much success with it. However, I have always fancied having one of the traditional Scottish moulds that has a plaited edge and a thistle in the centre, but the price of them put me off. So when I saw these small moulds I just had to have a couple to try. Needless to say my first choice was a little cat. Having read up on tricks and tips to use them, I went for my very traditional shortbread recipe and chilled it for a short time while I made a pie for our dinner. Then I floured the mould well and pushed some dough into it, turning it out onto a baking tray. After the first one, which stuck a bit, they turned out quite well and I managed to form seven little sleeping kitties. 

My second mould was more ambitious as it was the shape of a large fircone, which had some deep cavities, and this time I didn't do so well. I only made two with the remaining dough. The first one turned out in three peices which I pushed together and hoped they would join up as they cooked. (They did!), and the second one looked more like a Christmas tree and the edges would not unmould at all. I again chilled them in the fridge for half an hour before baking them and they held their shape pretty well.  But they all tasted good and that is what counts, and the grandchildren will love the cats next time they come over.

I am very pleased to say I have finally finished the green jacket I started crocheting in April. It was quite heavy going and I lost interest a bit half way through, but the yarn was rather special, and hence rather expensive, so I didn't want to waste it, so when I had completed both my blankets I decided to have another go at it, and last night I did the final stitches. I am please with it. It is heavy and warm and will make a good jacket for walking up to the shops etc in the Winter. I don't wear a coat very often but I do like a good woolly jacket.

This is a close up to show the true colours and textures in the yarn.

And because I got told off by some friends for not modelling the last one I made, here I am wearing it, though it does't look its best over a strappy sundress!

This morning we got our car back, repaired and fully serviced ready for its ITV at the beginning of November. So mid-morning we went to the nearby camp site for the first of their monthly artisan markets since the lockdowns began. There was a nice variety of stalls and a good turnout of visitors. I completely forgot to take any photos, but we did buy a few little bits, a couple of coasters with sunflowers on, some rather nice smelling incense sticks and a holder to burn them safely, some tee-shirts and a few other bits. 

And finally, a rather lovely sky that I spotted early evening on Monday. I took several pictures of it, but I liked this one because you can see all the little birds coming in to roost for the night. (Click on it and you should get a larger picture).



And that my friends is it for this week. Hopefully I will be able to publish
this before I go off to shop in the morning. But first I will be linking up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles.

4 comments:

Annie said...

What a gorgeous spread of harvest produce...I used to love the harvest service too.
I love your latest cardigan...well done you for your perseverance. I’ve finished my crocheted blanket but can’t share it as yet.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie s

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, sorry I'm late it's been a lovely day today so after walking dogs been doing more gardening again and the pile is bigger than before, then took Maisie and Stan to the Vet's and now I'm back. Not sure where the time's gone today. The vegetables look lovely and can't wait to see how you get on with the berries. Loving the moulds and you've got me going now...I will have open that box of shortbread, I love it but try not to eat it too often as it's difficult to stop! Nice cardigan too, love the colours. Have a good weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely week you have had - finishing a project like your woolly jacket, and also playing with your new shortbread moulds has made it interesting - and thanks for the news about the palm berries - I have seen them around here, but not as large...
What a pity you could not attend the Harvest Festival service.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Oh what a lovely post, so sorry you didn't make the harvest festival service but love your own version after a trip to the market. I bet the walk back after dropping the car was lovely and glad you got the car sorted.

I love your crocheted jacket it looks fantastic and well done for persevering it can be hard work once you've lost heart with a project.

The shortbread looks fantastic, I know they did something similar on celebrity master chef with pastry moulds and the key was cooling the mixture before using it in the moulds.

Love the sky photos at the end hope you have a fantastic weekend and week ahead xxxx