Friday, October 29, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 44

Here we are looking back over the week for those golden moments that made us smile. I can't believe it is the end of the week already. It has mostly been a stay at home week. We have had a fair amount of rain which has done the ground a lot of good. And we are lucky here in the village. The surrounding Cabrera mountains seem to sheild us from the worst of the elements, so once again we had no problems with flooding etc that was seen in many areas around us.

After the sound of heavy rain plus thunder and lightening woke us last Friday night, I took my camera outside on Saturday morning to catch some photos of raindrops on the plants.You might think that is a bit odd, but rain is rather more of a novelty here than it is in UK, and it is usually followed by sunshine that makes the raindrops glisten. So here is what  I took.



I do like to see rain drops on roses and right now our roses are giving us another flurry of lovely flowers.

When I was shopping in Lidls I saw some rather sad and bruised Winter pansies. They were very cheap so I bought four and have now planted them in a pot on our front step. Within a couple of days, they had all bucked up and now have beautiful flowers on them.

I had to smile at Tango when I caught him napping in the sun. I am keeping a close eye on this cactus which is almost as tall as I am. The last one keeled over when it got this tall, but I keep hoping it will produce a flower on the top before this one falls. When I went out there Tango was curled up with his head right in the centre of the cactus and I thought it was a very uncomfortable place to chose to rest. Needless to say, by the time I returned with my camera he has moved his head but at least he was still sitting there.

While standing by the front gate, I notoced these little birds lined up along the cables. They are almost certainly spotless starlings which are flocking back here for the colder months. They are so noisy when they all chatter each morning and evening, with all the sparrows joining in to give them some competition.  But these ones quite intrigued me, because after a few minutes they dropped one by one, straight down to the ground, and soon they were all gone. I guess there was some food below them but I couldn't see from where I was.

Here is another flock of them that I saw just as the sun was going down. I was trying to catch a sunset that never really happened, when they all flew across in front of me, no doubt going back to their trees to roost for the night.



I am pleased to say I am making some progress, albeit slowly, with my big crochet project. I am still not showing it, but I think I am about a quarter of the way through. I still have to undo rows sometimes to correct a mistake, but mostly I am on the right track now. It is just complicated and needs a lot of focus and concentration.

That obviously doesn't make it very easy to work on if I am watching TV, and as the evenings are drawing in we do find ourselves in the sitting room in front of the TV most evenings now, so I needed a much simpler project to work on then. So I have started to make lots of little squares. Each one has three rounds of one colour in different shades. They are all surrounded by a black row which makes the colours pop, and brings them all together. It is a great way to use up all my little balls of left-over yarn from previous projects, and I did have a big bag of them. I soon got tired of hunting through it for my colours so one night I sorted them all into different bags, one for esch colour set, and now I can quickly chose three that tone, and I can get out just one bag for the evening and make all red ones, or all green ones etc! I need almost 300 squares for my blanket, so that's around 50 from each bag! I happened to have quite a lot of black bought for another project that I decided against doing, a few years ago, so that has given me a good start.

Here are just a few of the squares I have made so far.


A happy little post came in from my Granddaughter yesterday to say her son Alfie(age 6),  played football for the West Brom under seven's team again, and scored a hat trick against Manchester United. Not too many folk can say they have done that!







Although most days have broken out to sunshine by mid-morning, the clouds are often gathering before dusk so there haven't been any really colourful sunsets, but yesterday I was up in time to see the sunrise. It wasn't spectacular, but made a nice start to the day.

The one evening photo I did manage to get is very pretty. I really like this one.


So now it is time to link up with Annie at A Stitch in Time. I hope everyone else has found something to smile about, and be grateful for too. 


6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, Kate. The raindrops on those roses and plants really sparkle. Lovely photos of them, too. What an amazing cactus. Tolly in the cactus had me grinning. Cats like to sleep in the most original spots.

Congrats to Alfie. I can tell you are proud of him, too.

I love those granny squares. I made enough for a blanket, but never put them together. I finally gave them to a girl who was willing to sew them together. Yours are incredibly colorful and that's a fabulous way to use up scraps.

I LOVE that sign. Everyone should read this one. It's great. Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, Kate. Hopefully it's still Friday in your world.

Annie said...

I love seeing raindrops on flowers too...nature is so clever isn’t it? Your latest squares are really colourful and will make a gorgeous blanket. I always love the skies you share.... I often see them but never manage to capture them on film.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Unfortunately we have only had one day with some rain. Not nearly enough for what the land needs. We are waiting for next week's rain. They forecast it nearly every day, but then the sun comes out and there's no hope of rain.
I love your photos of the raindrops. The pansies are gorgeous. They didn't have those in Lidls here, or i would have got some too. I had been to the local garden center to look for winter pansies, to no avail.
I love to see the starlings and they make an enormous row in the park at a certain hour of the evening. (dusk) I love hearing them.
Your squares are great. They will make a fantastic blanket in the end. I love the black edging.
And the wise words at the end are so true. I count my blessings every day.
Have a lovely (hopefully not too scary) weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, I am here at last just been a bit distracted today. The rose looks gorgeous with the raindrops on it. Gorgeous photo collection and loving the crochet, the black really makes the colours stand out. I think you're right there is plenty to smile about we just don't always realise it. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Now that sounds as though you have a quiet week of normality, Kate - love your raindrop photos, they are gorgeous.
Trust a cat to sleep with his head in the middle of a cactus!
The starlings can be noisy - I have some nesting nearby...
Your pansies look as though they will be rather pretty for your winter. Loving your crochet squares, and yes, sometimes we just need to do something simple when in front of the TV :)
Loving your sky photos too - we have had lots of low cloud of late, with no really 'nice' sunrises or sunsets
Stay safe
Blessings
MAxine

Celtic house said...

Oh what a lovely post I love the glistening water on the flowers in particular the roses, we had a significant downpour yesterday and the wind is high currently. Your winter flowering pansies look fabulous i too got some last minute winter bedding plants on the cheap at the weekend and managed to plant them out before the weather set in. Tango in the cactus made me giggle I can't think of anywhere more uncomfortable. I hope you have had a lovely weekend and week ahead hugs xxxxx