Friday, October 8, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 41

I am starting this week with some more photos of our little footballer. Last Friday night my great-grandson's junior football club was invited to the West Bromwich Albion Academy for the under sevens team to play some matches. They played four games, won two, drew one and lost one. They all look very pleased with themselves. (Alfie is second from the right).


At the end of the evening Alfie was invited to go back the next day to play for the West Brom under sevens. His mum was quite upset that "her baby" was given a new kit including shin pads and boots, and was sent off to strange changing room to get himself ready, but of course he managed. (I am sure there were people there to help them).They played against Sunderland and Bristol Rovers. I don't know the final scores but Alfie managed a couple of goals. They do get some amazing opportunities these days though he seems so very young for all this yet. Emma said the best thing was that he wasn't fully aware of what it was all about, and he just wanted to play more football and have fun, which is the best way to look at it for now anyway.

I did say I wasn't sure what I would be making next after the green jacket was finished, but then I saw a pattern that I knew I had to try. It will be very challenging for me, but I have to have a go. One good thing is that it uses small amounts of quite a few colours so I will be able to use up some of my rather large stash of yarn. But I did need several balls of dark grey. Dark grey? I hear you say. That's not a colour Kate normally chooses. But it was what was needed, and of course it is not a colour I keep much of in my stash so I had to try to find a supplier in Spain, or at least Europe, so I could buy it without the huge tax and import duties I was stung with on my last order from UK. It  turned out to be a bit of a mission, but I ended up writing to Stylecraft for help and they pointed me towards a couple of shops in Ireland and the Netherlands. I wrote to the shop in Ireland but I never received an answer! The Dutch shops all said that they only offered 'click and collect', but when I looked into it further I found one company that did do international orders, so I ordered what I needed staraight away. It took a couple of weeks to arrive but I did smile when the squishy parcel finally got here.


I can see me using them again in the future. I won't be revealing what I am making with it, until I am sure I can manage it.

While waiting for the wool to arrive I decided to have a play with a few smaller projects. The first one I completed was this wind spinner. It was fun to do and it does spin really well in the breeze. Unfortunately, when it was done I tossed it into my knitting box until I had got round to make the tassell it needed to add weight at the bottom, and when I came to hang it I had trouble trying to make the ring spiral neatly, so my spinner is a bit wavy. But it still works and was a bit of fun to make.

Then I saw another pattern on Facebook that I wanted to try. I found two oddments and tried a small swatch and rather liked how it turned out. (I ran out of green. There should have been two more rows to complete the pattern repeat). It was another slightly different technique and I like to try out new ideas.

I had the idea to make a small rug to replace the rather ancient one beside my bed, so I went to the local Chinese bazaar to see if they had any suitable yarn. I wanted chunky weight cotton but they didn't have any and in the end I bought these two. We recently bought new blue and white bedding.

I knew it wouldn't be easy to work with but I got the hang of it in the end. I needed a big hook which I held a bit like a screw driver, as I tried to force it through the stitches, but I got there.The minute I put the finished rug on the floor to get a proper look at it, Tolly leapt on it and just sat there. I have a little bit of yarn left over so I may make a simple little mat for him one day!

I have since done two rows of border using a cone of "T-shirt" yarn, to give it a firmer edge. It proved to be even harder to work with, but has made it more finished.. It has buckled a bit but I think as I stand on it more, the rug will stretch a bit and fit the border better so it lies flatter.


On Tuesday we decided to drive over to the Repsol gas shop in Vera to look for a new fire for the sitting room. The one we have was very efficient and we liked it, but it has been failing the last two winters, and last year it continually turned itself off, so we intended to replace it this year. It turned out that the girl at the gas shop couldn't help us, but directed us to a shop in Mojacar Pueblo, around half an hour's drive away. When we got there we couldn't find the shop, and having asked several people, no-one could tell us where it was. We were just about giving up when a council worker who was sweeping the street, told us there was a shop that only sold 'stoves' in Vera, so back we went again!

But we hadn't been up in the Pueblo for quite some time so we had a little walk around first, and ended up at the Fuente. This is a fountain flowing continually with drinkable water, and many families still go there with a collection of containers, to draw all the water they use in their houses. It is a very attractive place, set up around a large patio area. The drinking water spouts go all along the far end of it, and the water runs off into channels along each side which I believe were once where the women came to do their laundry. The side walls are covered in pots of red and pink geraniums, and it is a very peaceful and cool spot, even when it is invaded by a bus load of tourists, or a group of thirsty walkers, as was the case when we got there.



However, we were soon back at the car and decided to drive all along the coast road to get back to Vera. We stopped at our favourite cafe in Mojacar Playa where Chris ordered a 'café con leche' and I asked for té ingles. I then smiled sweetly at the waitress and said PG tips? (For my American friends, this is a popular brand of tea in UK). So when our drinks arrived Chris had a very generous sized cup of coffee and I had a similar cup, with a glass bowl full of PG tips tea bags, a pot of hot water and a jug of cold milk. Plus we were given a glass of water - often served with a coffee - two small glasses of fresh orange juice, a plate with two mini sugared dough balls and two savoury pastries, and a bowl of mixed nuts, and the total bill was just 3€. You can see why we like going there, and why their forecourt tables are nearly always full!

It was a lovely sunny day, and as we drove along the coast I rolled down my window and tried to take some photos from the moving car. Most were not very good, but I was happy with these ones. The sea was such an incredible blue, with quite fierce white waves breaking on the rocks.

At Vera we found the shop we needed and duly chose a fire. The next day a man came to look at the space where it will go and made sure it was suitable and has promised that the fire will arrive in around twenty days, and he will then phone to arrange installing it, so it will be ready by the time we need to start using it.

Two weeks ago I showed a photo of next door's garden, just a wide space of mud and mostly under water. What a difference a couple of weeks make. With the sun warming the ground after the rain, it is now thick green vegetation. No doubt the men will be back soon to clear it all away again, but it is a battle they will never win. In the meantime it is nice to see some green again after a summer of brown sun baked land.


Once again I am grateful for technology, especially being able to make video calls using Messenger. Youngest son Ben and I chatted for just over four hours on Wednesday evening. It was the wee small hours before I got to bed, ( I am one hour ahead of UK time), but it was so lovely to take time to really talk together. Then the next day my sister and I chatted for an hour and a half, and shared our latest family news and crafty makes. We have similar interests so it is always good to see what each other is making.

And now I will close with a few sky photo. The first is actually a sunrise. I am not often up to see it but on Tueday I opened my eyes to see a sky streaked in gold and orange, and I leapt up, grabbed my phone and ran out to catch a few shots before it all changed. It is a bit blurry because I was still half asleep!

The rest are sunsets - nothing very dramatic but interesting and sometimes pretty all the same.





So now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles before publishing this.





6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Loving your crochet rug - and Tolley on it :) What a busy week you have had Kate. It's always great to be able to catch up with family, and I am so blessed to have my close family near. Glad to hear you have your fire sorted ready for winter...
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, you've always got so much going on. I'm pleased Alfie is enjoying the football but like you I think he is very young to concentrate on it too much. Football clubs like to catch their players early but I'm not sure that their intentions are based on the child's needs or income but I'm sure his parents wont let it affect his education. Your kitty knows all the best places. I've seen those large crochet needles and they look like fun to use. Lovely photographs too. Hope your weekend is full of even more smiles. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Looks and sounds like Alfie is enjoying his "football." It's good he loves the game and that is what is important.

Your rug looks great. I think it looks very sturdy, so I can understand how hard it must have been to crochet.

I had to laugh at the people getting water. It would have been overrun, had it been near us today! Not sure what a "fire" is, but do you mean fireplace? Good luck with your new one. I hope it's installed before you need it.

LOVE your sky shots, especially the one with pink in it. Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, Kate.

Annie said...

I love that we both have little footballers in our families. It’s such a lovely activity for them. I really love the crocheted mat you’ve made....I’m loving my crochet with my new hooks.....I will do a show and tell when I’m able. .your skies always make me smile so thanks for sharing them with me.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Most little boys love football. Our grandchildren are all into football. But I feel sorry for the parents who are expected to stand and freeze by the side of the field, making idle smalltalk with other parents.
But well done Alfie! It was quite a privilege to be at such a famous grounds. I am with you, that there would have been some people in the changing rooms to help him. I mean, they were all under 7! Most 7 yr olds can't do up football boots.
I love that rug, but can fully understand that was hard going. I have seen that yarn at the chinese poundshop and have often wondered what people do with it. Now I know.
Great that you were able to get another fire. Have you got bottled gas or piped? I'm sure you will let us see a photo once it is installed.
Beautiful photos: deep blue sea and a pink sky. Beautiful.
What a lovely fuente! Which pueblo was it? Mojacar? Or your own village?
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Oh what a fabulous post, you seem to have had a great week, I'm glad you managed to resolve your fire situation and hopefully it will be in for when you need it. The rug is gorgeous but I can't imagine how much hard work it must have been trying to work the wool. As for the sky pictures, always my favourites, I've enjoyed a beautiful sunrise sky this morning. I'm intrigued as to what you are making with the grey wool I hope you manage it so you can share. Also love the football shots, I remember said 21 year old doing a tag rugby game years ago with a local team, at the beginning of the main match they went out with the team and hey had to do the same after half time he asked "when do I collect my rugby player again" it definitely made us laugh and he too was completely unphased by the crowds etc.

I hope you are having a lovely weekend and week ahead.

Hugs