Friday, February 3, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023; Week 5

I finished last week's post by saying we were going out for the evening, (That was Thursday), so today I will start from there.

At the start of December, Mojacar launched a campaign to get recognition by the tourist board, with an aim to win a Ferrero Rocher competition to light up a town. Six small towns made the short list and Mojacar was one of them. They arranged several community fun projects to raise their profile, and had a big presence on social media, asking everyone in the surrounding area to vote for them. Well their campaign was successful and they won the competition, and in just a couple of days, Ferrero Rocher adorned every railing, balcony etc with sparkling gold lights. There was also a lovely light tree in the square. This was of course, excellent advertising for FR, but also good for tourism in Mojacar at a time that is usually their low season. And it did attract huge crowds, but we held back as neither of us are keen on the crowds, nor do we enjoy driving after dark. But Mojacar decided to keep the lights up until February, so when our son came out, we thought it would be a nice outing to go up and see them, and Jonathan was happy to do the dark driving. 

It was a very cold night and we went early so we could get the little one home and in bed before it got too late. So when we arrived it was very quiet with few folk around. They were arrivng as we left!. We saw the lights switch on as the sun went down and they were very pretty. Every balcony and railing was draped in gold . 

In the square there was a lovely tree. It was much more sparkly than it looks here.

This was on the side of the ancient church, and they had decided to keep that lit way past Christmas too.

The gold balls were everywhere, I assume replicating Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

I liked this arch of lights at the top of the road from the square.

The top plaza was bright with strings of light, but it was too cold to stand and admire them for long.

Also on the top plaza there was a lit star for framing photos, so of course we made use of it.

Just before the lights came on, I took this photo of the view from the first plaza looking over towards the coast and Garrucha Town.

The rest of the week passed quickly. Jonathan and Chris together cut up, shredded and binned all the mess from the trees they cut down and it looks so much better now.

Little A was a bit under the weather for a couple of days, with a high temperature, but she was very good, and even learned a few new words during the week.

On Friday Jonathan had agreed to drive me over to Alicante (two and a half hours drive from here), to collect Leo, as the breeder said he was ready to go. Here he is and he is such an adorable ball of fluff. He is actually much smaller and younger than I had expected, but he eats solid food, uses a litter tray and climbs well. He likes the climbing tree that we bought for Tolly and uses the scratching poles which is encouraging. He likes to sit on the back of my chair and often falls asleep there, or else between my legs.  He eats well, plays hard and sleeps hard, so I fit what I have to do around what he is doing for now. He is only two and a half months so has plenty of growing and filling out to do. here is a collage of his first week.

The other animals are not too sure about this little intruder but Kim ignors him, and Tango and Tolly will now settle in the same room as him even if they are not ready to make friends yet. One evening Luna came on my lap and fell asleep there, and Leo jumped up too, so they both laid there, but there was a bit of a hissing match when they woke up! It is all fun for now.

For now I keep him in my craft room if I am too busy as he is not allowed outside yet, and I don't want the others to 'gang up' on him. He plays on all my stuff so it pays me to put anything important away properly. When I am on my computer he likes to sit on my shoulder and watch the movement on the screen, but I have to lock my keyboard whenever I leave him so he doesn't edit my posts!

This week has flown by with lots of extra bedding and towels to wash, and some crafting and computer time to catch up on. As soon as we have dismantled A's cot and cleared out the little spare room, I will settle Leo in there so he has somewhere safe to go when I am not around. As soon as I sit down I let him out to join us again, and that seems to work.

Today I have had a long chat with my son Ben, and tomorrow maybe I will get a catch-up session with my sister. And that is how it rolls for now. So I will save this now, ready to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles in the morning.


7 comments:

Annie said...

Little Leo is simply gorgeous...but I'm guessing he wont be little for very long and may end up being a large cat.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Great Ferrero-campaign, I missed it. - ohhh and your new uff-ball, soooo cute - big SMILE here.
LOL, why not let him edit your posts, maybe he is creative?
Two happy faces, what can be better on the day to the weekend!
Sound like you have a real good time!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, sorry I'm late today we've actually been out today which was nice. Looks like you had a nice evening with all those gorgeous lights. Your kitten looks so sweet, very pretty face. Pleased he's settling in. Have a very happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Anonymous said...

What pretty lights! Beautiful!
How is your bathroom? All done? You don't mention it this time.
Your new little kitty is sooo cute! You will have your hands full for the time being, but I'm sure Theo will fit in well.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Leo is beautiful - typical of a young kitten to be so active, but it's great to know he's on solid food and 'trained'. Hope the older cats soon settle with him around.
The lights are amazing - what a bright spot in the winter for the whole town.
So good to know that Jonathon helped so much with the outside work - it's always a bit of a concern as we older!
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere apologies for visiting so late. I had NO idea how long it would take to visit everyone this week. I do NOT plan to do that again any time soon.

Leo is adorable. I know he will bring you lots of joy and love.

That festival looks lovely with all the gold. Nice that they won. Too bad there weren't chocolates for everyone, too (grin). Still, that was quite an honor and you got some incredible shots.

I hope your weekend is filled with happiness that doesn't include just doing laundry and you have a great week ahead. I plan to visit sooner next Friday.

Celtic house said...

The lights look really pretty, how lovely to have such a display not long after Christmas and like you said, great advertising on their part. I'm glad you enjoyed time with your family as well, I'm assuming those photos will make there way to a scrapbook layout soon. Leo looks seriously cute, but I can't imagine him being a shoulder sitter once he gets bigger. I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Hugs