Friday, February 17, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023; Week 7

What a grey, cold week we have had, so mostly we have stayed indoors, grateful for a warm fire and hot food; two things that make us much more blessed than many folk right now. Saturday was the Winter "Commercial Day", intended to raise awareness of the many small businesses in the village. As it was such a cold and rather damp evening, and we had no need to buy anything, we opted to stay at home this time, so we will have to double our response to the summer one later. But in the morning we did hear music outside so we went to the front door in time to see the Los Gallardos and Bédar band marching up the road, I think to remind us that there was something happening later in the day.

The marquee remains up on the car park after Christmas until after Día de Andalucía on 28th Feb, so on Saturday the Town Hall organised games and entertainment in there for the children to keep them occupied while their parents shopped. As it was so cold they posted on Facebook that there would be a heater in there, so I guess they were worried that not many folk would turn out for it.

On Monday I went to a new Spanish class - new to me anyway. I had heard what a good teacher they had, and I find that I don't use my Spanish often enough so I am forgetting some of it, so a refresher class seemed like a good idea. I really enjoyed it. Everything was within my capabilities, but the practice is invaluable. I find I can speak adequately and read intuitively, but I still cannot hear when it is spoken to me, so I am hoping this will improve my listening skills.

On Wednesday I went to my sewing group as usual. I managed to sell some of my new marmalade as well as some from previous years. I wanted to sell some of this to make room on my shelves for the new batches, so I sold it off at a reduced price. When it is kept for a year it goes a lot darker and the flavour is more intense. I actually prefer this more mature one, and several of my fellow-crafters seemed to agree. Here is half of the room, with everyone busy knitting, crocheting or sewing quilts etc, and of course having a good old natter too. There is a second table in the other half of the room, and we are almost up to our pre-pandemic numbers now.

Of course there are some more photos of Leo. He has started to share my lap with Tango more and they are getting quite used to one another. Tapping noses is fine, but Tango will flap his tail and of course, to Leo that is a clear signal to play with it - not so good!

I don't know whether there is a visible shutter on my phone camera, but Leo seems to sense when I am trying to photograph him. Instead of turning his head away like the other cats do, he stares into the lens and then 'attacks'. This was just as he was about to leap at it!

He has chosen Dad's crochet Celtic lap blanket as his favourite spot for an afternoon nap. He is nearly camouflaged on it and I think he knows, as when I am looking for him and calling his name, he stays very still and hopes I won't notice him!

Keeping busy in the kitchen with the oven on is always a good way to keep warm so this week I made another batch of marmalade with the second half of the oranges I was given. I know you have seen lots of photos like this, but there is something very satisfying about a stack of freshly bottled marmalade with the sun shining through it. I wish this was a scratch'n'sniff page, because the citrus smell in the kitchen is so good.

I also had a go at making the Oat Loaf that Leeanna shared the recipe for last week. I had to adapt the ingredients a little but it turned out very well. It tastes great but I think next time I will try to grind the flour a little more as my bread was very textured.

I realised the other day that I have never shown my finished mandala that I was making last year. It took me ages to find a suitable hoop but eventually I did manage to buy a wooden one. I had no space to hang it until all the Christmas decorations came down, but a few weeks ago I did get around to stretching it onto its frame and it now hangs on the sitting room wall next to other one I did some time ago. So here it is. It makes a lovely splash or colour in what tends to be a rather dark room.

And finally, a friend posted this on his Facebook page this week and it really made me smile. It is so very true. Much as I hate these cold days, I am also not very keen on the really hot ones. So here's hoping we have a nice long Spring, and an early Autumn with just a little bit of 'too hot' Summer in the middle.

So now I will get ready to link up with Annie's Smiles in the morning, and get back down to the sitting room to light the fire ready for this evening.


6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Sounds like a typical winter Kate - the fire on and cats on laps to keep warm :)
We have had an incredibly wet summer - historically so!! It culminated with an ex-tropical cyclone hitting us this past week and wreaking havoc!! So far the death toll is 9, with 3,500 unaccounted for at this point. There are still communities totally cut off...
Leo sounds like quite a character... and manages to 'hide' very neatly on that blanket.
It's years since I made marmalade, but I did have a good, failproof recipe I used to use. Your craft group sounds like a wonderful one to be part of.
All the best for your Spanish lessons.
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...

What a lovely post today Kate...so much to smile about. Your new fur baby is growing so fast...it'slovely to see the two cats sitting together. Your mandala is stunning...that would make me smile a lot.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

I think having commercial days is really good. As far as I know, we don't have those here in our village.
It looks like a great craft club you attend. Are they English or Spanish ladies?
Lovely photos of Leo. Animals seem to know when you take a picture. I can't explain it either. Our cat never wanted to be photographed and we have very few photos of her, only when she was very ill and about to be put down, we had a picture of her looking at the camera.
Your mandala is absolutely stunning! What a beautiful thing to have on the wall. Is it big?
I'm tired of winter too. The problem is that here we hardly have any spring. It goes from winter straight to summer in about a week at the beginning of June and that is it. Autumns are usually better. This year will be the first September I will spend in Spain (probably), so I hope it will be a tolerable autumn.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great you were able to attend a Spanish class. It makes it nice to be able to converse in the native language of the country in which you live.

So glad you got to go to your sewing group and they actually have one in your area. It's nice to share your crafts with a like minded group that is not on the internet.

Your bread looks beautiful and your marmalade looks so pretty all lined up on your counter.

Leo is such a cutie. One of these days he will get used to the camera in his face and he will appreciate the photos you take of him.

The mandala turned out great after you got the hoop. It's amazing how that yarn was just right for making that pattern. Have a super weekend and a great week ahead, dear Kate.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Looks like you've had a busy week and lots of interesting things to occupy you too. The kitties are looking well too. I have no plan as yet for the new plant. Like you I had never seen them before but it looks interesting. We have our fingers crossed that we manage to sort a good plan for my mother. Have agood weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

A new Spanish class sounds great, I'm still battling with Italian on Duolingo on a daily basis, despite never having a real flair for languages as my French teacher could confirm.

The marmalade looks fabulous and having never made it I can only guess how wonderful the kitchen smelt after making it.

The mandala looks amazing, as always in awe of your fantastic crochet skills.

I'm glad Tango and Leo are getting along, even if Leo misunderstands Tango's warning system and I absolutely get why you'd miss Leo on that blanket, well camouflaged.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and week ahead.

Hugs