Friday, February 24, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023; Week 8

Here we are again, another week into the year and although I haven't been too busy this week, it has still flown by, and I even forgot yesterday was Thursday so I haven't prepared my blog. This morning I have to go out so this will be a quickie and I will fill the gaps in next week's post.

I am taking Leo to the vet, partly because they want to see him and give him a cuddle, but also because his chip is registered in Valencia province and I need it to be in AndalucĂ­a, so there is some paper work to be done. He is very lively in the mornings and loves to play out in the fly-free porch where he can watch the birds and chase leaves around. He then sleeps a lot in the afternoons and evenings and has never disturbed us in the night. He lays on my lap between my legs in what I think of as a 'dog pose', and Tango is often on the arm of my chair but they don't bother one another much.

On Saturday it was the village carnival, a very low-brow affair compared with some towns around here, but great fun anyway, and the atmosphere is always warm and full of happiness. Sadly it was a cold day and there were some heavy showers but a bit of rain doesn't put the Spanish off when they are having a good time. I went down to the front of the village to take some photos and then hurried home to stand at our gate with Chris as the procession danced passed us.  Here are just a couple of the photos I took. I have lots more and by next week they will all be in a collage so I will show that then.


We have done some work in the garden this week, well mostly Chris has but I hand him the tools and bag up the rubbish so we can get it out to the bin. The roses have finally been pruned back hard and the last three blooms are in a vase on my table. 

We decoded to dig out one rose that is old and reverting to a wild one, and replaced it with one of our hydrangeas which looks completely dead now, but I have faith that it will shoot again soon. Chris' dad had big hydrangeas all round his front garden and they looked lovely when they were all in flower. Mine have got as big as they can in a pot, but hopefuly now it is planted out, this one may grow again.

There are lots of signs of spring in the garden, but these are my favourites. I bought one pot that were just showing signs of growing, from Lidls a few weeks back. I split it into two clumps and put them in two pots on the front porch and they have produced loads of flowers. They are not usually seen here, so they are a little touch of an English garden.


I also have flowers on a type of lavendar, kalenchoes, crown of thorns, primulas and petunias. Several of these wouldn't normally flower yet but the Winter has been relatively warm and dry so if they have survived the very cold snaps we have had, they think it is time to wake up now.

Even the jasmine that was cut to almost ground level last year, is climbing back up the wall and has lots of buds on it.

We have had a few really pleasant days this week, with a hazy sunshine so the mountains are only just visible, but it was warm enough to eat our lunch out side, and sit in the porch for some lazy afternoons. I have had long video chats with three of our boys. It was Ben's birthday yesterday and his partner bought him a drone, so he is hoping to make videos of the surrounding countryside and write music to go with them. He is a happy man now.

I hope you all enjoyed some pancakes on Tuesday. We did and Chris likes his with lots of lemon juice and sugar (I have to go very easy on the sugar). It was special to be able to go just outside the kitchen door to pick lemons off our tree for the juice. Here is my grand-daughter helping to make hers. It is nice to see the next generation keeping up the traditions.

Now I will quickly link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and when I get back from the vet I will come and visit you all.



8 comments:

Annie said...

I am enjoying watching the garden wake up ready for Spring. Your flowers are lovely...many only seen as house plants over here though.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Leo seems to be the very perfect cat!!!
Oh, yes, I want to make a post on the Braunschweig-carnival still. Thank you for the reminder...

Another oh! My daffodils sadly are dying (Ingo brought me cut "babies").

Drone-videos with music? Please share :-)
Cute pic of your Granddaughter. Pancakes are on my list, with cheese and such, though.

Have a happy Friday x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, going to be quick tonight as it's late. We've been out most of the day banking and then shopping and it's only now that I've found time to switch the laptop on. You may think you've not been busy but you have obviously not had time to get bored. Your Grandaughter is a real sweetie. Wishing you a very happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

Celtic house said...

I too have struggled to put a post togetheer, so will hopefully get to that this morning. I'm loving how comfortable Leo looks, the festival looks great despite the weather and I can't imagine wandering outside to grab a lemon for pancakes - that's fantastic. We enjoyed pancakes last weekend as we had limited time during the week.

Have a wonderful week and week ahead.

Lisca said...

Your flowering plants are beautiful. You have a really perfect climate.
I forgot about pancake day. I had my friend come over and I had promised to make the pasties. Your granddaughter is gorgeous.
Have a lovely weekend,
hugs,
Lisca

LA Paylor said...

a festival, and flowers both good things! We are melting snow this weekend, after another few inches and 0 deg F. Love to see your flowers
LeeAnna

kiwimeskreations said...

I hope Leo impressed the vets!! What a laid back cat :)
Love that last photo of your grand daughter - it's always a joy to see traditions being continued.
We have had one of the wettest summers on record here, and there are many bugs around, so I am hoping for a drier, colder winter to knock them off!
The fiesta photos look wonderful Kate
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Leo is a doll. Such a sweetie. Your granddaughter making pancakes is a cutie, too.

You have some awesome plants. How lucky to go outside and grab a lemon on demand.

What fun to see the people dressed up for carnival. Just fabulous.

I'm having trouble getting posts to publish. I keep trying, though.