Friday, July 7, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023; Week 27

Well, here I am, still surviving ...just. The temperatures have been in the upper thirties all week and I am slowly melting away. Next week they are forecasting a heat wave, with thermometers showing 44-45 in inland places and possibly 40 down here near the coast. If that is the case, I shall be sitting under a fan or in the pool and doing as little as possible!

But it is fiesta time in the village. Our patronal fiesta actually starts next Thursday through to Sunday, but the bumper cars always come a week or two before that. So the big lorries rolled in to the land across the green zone from the back of our house, last weekend, but they didn't seem to be in any hurry to get it all set up this year.

 However it is up now and last night the lights were on and a few youngsters were enjoying rides. But they have kept the music fairly low level and so far have not used the very loud horn that indicates the end of each ride. I am sure it will all be there for the fiesta, but it is nice to have a more gentle intro this year. The rest of the rides will be arriving this weekend, and then the side stalls will set up.

We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom that we have on all night and mostly I sleep quite well despite the fact it stays warm all night, but I do tend to wake up earlier. Yesterday I woke to a deep orange glow in the room and going to the window I saw a very orange sunrise, caused partly by the early mist and dust in the air. But I slipped on a housecoat and went out to take a photo.  As it rose higher the skies soon cleared and became  blue.

It was quiet outside and I sat to watch the swifts darting around to collect their morning feast of insects. They are aptly named the acrobats of the sky, and 'swifts' suits them well. They dive around yet never bump into walls or one another, and they are so fast that I have trouble catching them on camera. However by continuous shooting, sometimes they cross my path more by luck than judgement. Here are just few of them.

I have been so very grateful for the pool this week. It is not big enough to swim in properly, but we are lucky to have one in the village, and it is fine for cooling down a bit after a session in my craft room. Yesterday the thermometer at the surface of the pool said the water was 31º, and and the one at the bottom, at the deepest point showed 27º, so it is a bit like a warm bath, but is still very refreshing.

The fruit trees are doing quite well considering how little rain we have had. Only two fruit remain on the grapefruit tree after the 'June drop', but it is a very baby tree so we weren't sure it would have any fruit this year. The orange tree is in a huge pot which is now disintergrating, making it difficult to water. But we have been faithfully hosing it and this year it has several oranges that look like they may survive. The lemon tree is doing well again, and although it has fewer fruit than last year, the ones that are there are growing well and look good.

Yesterday our little great-grandson Reuben had his first birthday. This is the picture his mum sent of him.

In a week that we have struggled a bit I was happy to spot a little picture that made me smile, so I will share it with you here and then go over to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles.



6 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I think you don´t wanna hear this, but that is just my weather!!! Wonderful. Here it "warmed" up to some lousy 21C, the last nights I needed my microwave-buddy to keep me warm!
Please, send some of the heat over.... Wow on all your fruit. Hope the festivities don´t get too loud.
Thank you, too, for explaining about the carrots ;-)
Wishing you some weather-relief x

Celtic house said...

Oh bless you I can't imagine how warm it is, we keep being threatened with a heatwave but for the next couple of weeks we are still in the lower twenties which is still hot enough for me.

I'm glad some of your fruit trees are thriving despite the strange weather.

I'm sure your pool is a blessing in these temperatures have you tried crafting in the pool Kate.

Happy first birthday to Reuben

My post is officially not going to happen until tomorrow

Have a lovely week


Hugs

Lisca said...

Yes, it's that time of year again. Fiestas and ferias. When I arrived in the early hours of Sunday (5 a.m.) There were lots of people about and the music was still blaring! It was our local verbena (or whatever it is called).
It's hot here too. I don't have a pool but I keep everything shut and have the ceiling fans running.
Big smiles for swifts, carrots and great-great grandson. And a personal big smile for seeing Virginia is going to post again!
Have a great weekend,
hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This was our weather last week. We hit those numbers and the heat index made it even more unbearable. I am SO thankful for air conditioning. I couldn't live without it. I feel for you and these excessive temperatures.

It amazes me how these fiestas are in the heat of summer. I pity the people who have to work those rides and be in that heat all day. I hope it's a good week money wise for your village, though.

Your lemons are looking good. I hope you have a bounty crop of fruit this year, but it seems all crops are down compared to last year. Our wheat is only 40% per acre and the silos are only half full.

I laughed at how baby carrots were made. That was CLEVER. Have a super weekend, dear Kate.



Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, thanks for your kind thoughts. It has been a difficult few weeks trying to clear the house what with Des working away and visiting mum too but it's done now. You kind of have to shut your thoughts to the past and get on with it. Bet you're looking forward to the Fiesta, funnily enough we're having a small one this weekend and the rides are just setting up in the park. It's actually organised by a charity to raise money and they do it about now every year, usually I miss it because it's normally the Craft show at Doncaster Racecourse but this year it's not until next week so might get some photos to show you for next week. Loving your photos especially little Reuben and the carrots made me smile too. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

I'm very late getting round to visit this week....I've made 7 memory bears today and still have another waiting to be made!!
I know it's not been an easy week for you my friend so it's even better to read your positive post today. Keep cool.
Hugs,
Annie x