Friday, July 28, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023# Week 30

I won't bore you with yet another photo of our thermometer, but suffice to say the blue line has not moved up and down much at all this week, and we are all still melting. The last couple of days have been a tiny bit cooler, but I still can only sit on the porch if our big fan is going round at top speed.

So not surprisingly, I don't have a lot of news this week, so I will share my son's news instead. (apologies to those who have seen this on facebook already. Our second son Mike celebrated his 50th birthday on Monday. (Well he celebrated it on Saturday really, and kept the fun going until his actual birthday on Monday!). 

On Saturday evening he had a party in a horse field belonging to a good friend. (We have had a few good 'bashes' there before). Fortunately there was a big barn with hay bales for seating, as it was a rather wet affair, but they didn't let that dampen their fun. Several of his friends had set up tents to sleep in, but I suspect most of them camped in the barn instead.

Of course Arsenal was involved as all his own family, and his brothers and dad are all ardent fans, so here he is with his daughter and two of his sons, and his new Arsenal shirt with his nick-name on it, which he is obviously very pleased with.

Mike has worn his hair long for most of his life, and it is thick and wavy, but once every ten years he shaves it all off, for a charity. So the first "Big cut" was on his 30th birthday, when his older brother did the same thing. He did it again whe he was forty, so of course, this week was "The Big Cut 3". His partner, his brothers and his children all had a go at cutting it; first the pig-tails it had been tied in were cut off with scissors, then with an electric shaver, and then twice with 'suds and bic razors' according to his brother, so in the end they did a fairly good job of it.  This is the before and after shots.

His carefully tied pig-tails were donated to The Little Princess Trust who make wigs for children with cancer, so it was all in a good cause. But I am very glad that it will grow again.

I made him a fun card with a concertina of fifty candles. Somehow I failed to take a picture before sending it to him, so here is the one from the cutting file I used in my silhouette, to make it. It was a bit of a  fiddle but he loved it and that is what matters. 

This is the cutting file for the back panel as well.

Our son Tom is still here with us of course. He is now officially on holiday but so far he has spent most of his time jumping in and out of the pool, and spending a lot of time watching videos etc on his laptop. He enjoys discussing new ideas in computer programming etc with Chris, but they may as well be talking a foreign language as far as I am concerned. But it is nice for Chris to have someone who shares the same interests as him, to talk to.

It is also good to have a young strong man around to do some of the things we find difficult now. So he has been up ladders to change our lights in the long passageway through the house. They are high, and very tricky to do so we put it off until the whole passage is in darkness, but now we have light again. He has also helped Chris to clean the pool thoroughly and replace some missing tiles, and between us we have had a general clean up in the yards so it all looks good again now.

One day Tom came to tell me we had a large moth drowned in the pool so I went to investigate, and found this beauty. 

When we tried to fish it out, it flapped its wings feebly and we realised it was still alive, so I carefully carried it round the back and left it on a sunny bunch of oleander flowers, and hoped it would dry out. 

It is part of the swallow-tail butterfly family. The usual one, with four clearly defined wings, is quite common here for a short while, but this is the Eastern Tiger Swallow-tail, and it is much rarer, so it was a nice one to find. They only live for a few days, but I hope it survived long enough to lay some eggs in the green zone.

One thing that makes me very happy is that a Spanish friend of ours, who is an electrician, is coming tonight to install a new air-con unit in our bedroom. He will also be returning when Chris gets home from UK, to fit one in the sitting room. Our existing ones have been here since the house was built as far as we know, and neither of them are very efficient now, so I am looking forward to nice cool bedroom tonight.

I will publish this tomorrow on Annie's Friday Smiles blog, but I don't know whether I will be posting next week. We arrive at our son Jim's house in London on Thursday night, so I may not have anything ready for the next day. But I will try to visit you all anyway.

6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate, I cannot imagine living in that heat!!
Your son looks veery much like you in the photo with his head shaved - good on him for cutting his repeatedly for a charity - often folk here not only donate their hair, but have 'sponsorships' to raise money for the charity also.
That moth is stunning - what a find.
Great to know you have had Tom with you to get some of those tasks done around the place - always a blessing
Hope your weather cools shortly - and that England is out of the heatwave that is affecting you
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Good morning, lovely post I'm glad you are getting improved air conditioning particularly with the crazy temperatures you've been having. The photos of your son's 50th are great and what a fantastic thing to do for charity, hopefully our damp weather didn't spoil the festivities too much. I'm also glad your other son has been able to help on those 'round tuit' jobs it sounds like you've had a productive time whilst he has been over.

The butterfly is beautiful, I too hope it managed to lay some eggs.

Have a lovely weekend.

hugs

Iris Flavia said...

Sadly I must say the same. The thermometer won´t go up here. Long clothes and hot tea non-stop.
Happy belated Birthday to your Son Mike - and a big WOW on donating his wonderful hair!
Thumbs up to your Son Tom, too!
I´m wishing you a happy weekend, maybe you send some of your warm temps over?
And to a great visit next week in London x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Here our temps are between 105 F and 112 F (40.56 to 44.44 C) during the day, and not much better at night. The heat index is even worse. BUT THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING according to the nay sayers! I couldn't live without my AC. Not sure how most people in Europe survive without it.

Happy belated birthday to your son on his 50th. My friend and her daughter donate their hair every two years. It's a worthy cause.

What a lovely and rare butterfly. I hope it survives, too. Enjoy your time in the UK. And have a splendid rest of Friday and a great weekend, too.

Annie said...

Well done Mike....such a worthy cause. I hope the heat reduces a little for you soon....I would find it unbearable every day. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with Tom.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, sorry I'm late getting back to you. I've got a lot on this weekend so needed to get all the jobs sortted that I would have done Saturday and Sunday. It's always good to have useful friends. My hubby is great at DIY and my friend's hubby is useless and can't even climb on a ladder but he is brilliant with computers so it all works well. Daisy is almost back to her old self and they had a mad half hour this evening but still trying to stop her jumping about too much. Have a lovelyweekend. Hugs, Angela xXx