Friday, March 15, 2024

Friday Smiles 2024 # Week 11

Well here we are again at the end of another week. We have enjoyed some lovely sunny days so I am starting with another photo of the garden flowers. The little winter violas that I planted months ago, are still flowering and looking so sweet, and they have a surprisingly strong perfume. Of course the fresias in the pot next to them also smell lovely so I have a fragrant garden. The jasmine is over on the front wall and these two sit near the front door, so I can enjoy their lovely perfumes  every time I go out, or open the window.

Chris gave each pot a gentle water using a can this morning. They are used to me waving a hose around out there, but we cannot be seen to be so wasteful right now, so we give them just enough to stay alive. We did have a very little bit of rain here this week. Saturday was quite wet, but there was more just up in the hills which has helped to raise the level in the reservoirs a little, and they are hoping that when the snow melts at the top of the mountains, more will flow down to us. But in the meantime, we have to be careful.

I am very lucky to have a new 'toy' to play with in the kitchen. I know I am a sucker for kitchen gadgets. I buy anything that I think will make life easier for me and assist my weak hands, but I found I had far too many appliances taking up space, so I have replaced them with one that should do everything that they do, and some more. So here is my Ninja. 

It has a lot of accessories, but I needed them to be the right size to fit in the pot comfortably. I can now use it as an electric pressure cooker, an airfryer, a steamer, a dehydrater and yoghurt maker. It will prove and bake bread, make cakes and roast a whole chicken, and although the timing for each is much the same as the main oven, (except for the pressure cooker of course), it takes far less power, and does not make my kitchen so hot.

There is a lot to learn before I can realise its full potential, but I have started practising. Yesterday I cooked individual meat pies in it, and today I made a chicken satay for dinner, and then made a batch of cupcakes, and a loaf of bread. My cupcake tray has small, deep holes, so the cakes are a bit oddly shaped, but they will have some lemon curd put in the middle and I am sure they will taste fine. Hopefully the next batch will turn out more even.

I had fun one afternoon when I went to put away a little pot of glitter glue. I pulled the drawer just too far and the whole lot spilled all over the floor. I hadn't realised how many glitter glues and pearl drops I had accumulated! So I spent a couple of hours collecting them all up, sorting them into colours, and trying each one out. I threw away any that had dried up and now have a neatly arranged selection that I know are working and a test sheet to show how they look. Now to keep it that way...!

We have had a busy time with hospital appointments this week. On Monday Chris had his first treatment for macula degeneration, which went smoothly and wasn't too traumatic for him.  And yesterday I had a follow-up to my hand biopsy, and they have decided to remove some of the troublesome tissue from around the scar. I have to wait for them to ring me with an appointment now, but it will only be a quick trip to the day surgery unit. It will be good to get it sorted.

Yesterday I walked up to the farmacia to collect my prescription and I saw two swallow-tail butterfies having a great time flitting from flower to flower on a lantana shrub. Needless to say they weren't stopping to pose for me so I grabbed what I could and managed these two. It was like being out on a summer's day in England.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Ben last night, helping make a few tweaks to his webpage, and it is now up and running. He has worked hard on it so I hope it generates some work for him.

And with that, I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and do my best to visit you all.



6 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, I have always loved this time of the year in Spain, we always used to go over there at Easter and the temp. was just right for us though the locals were still well wrapped up. I'm trying to go the other way and get rid of some gadgets as I used to be obsessed with them but lose interest. I'm sure you'll have fun with yours. Now the crafting stuff is different Lol! Hope the next appointment goes well. Sending hugs Angela xxx

Iris Flavia said...

Sometimes sad we cannot smell through the internet, the flowers look wonderful.
Wow on your NINJA! We have one that can only grate...
Oh, yes, I have way too much colors and stuff, too.
Enjoy your warm weather, here it will cool down again.... hugs

Annie said...

I had fresias in my wedding bouquet so you are very lucky to have them growing in your garden. I love new kitchen tools so hope you enjoy using yours...we love our airfrier.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

I'm really sorry to hear Chris has degenerative macula. That's very annoying and there is no cure as far as I know but they can slow it down a lot.
Your flowers are so pretty. A joy to the eye (and to the nose in a lot of cases).
Congratulations on your Ninja! I'm sure you will have lots of fun trying it out and before you know it, you'll be using it like a pro. And it saves space as you'll be able to put away a few other gadgets.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi again Kate I am here on behalf of Elizabeth as she has tried since friday to leave you a comment but it keeps saying "Failed to publish" and she doesn't want you to think she's not visited you. Sending hugs on here behalf, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

Oh I love the violas, such pretty colours and scent. I've always been intrigued with the ninja all in one but don't know anyone with one. Hope you are having a good day xxx