Friday, March 29, 2024

Friday Smiles 2024 # Week 13

Here we are again at week 13, a quarter of the way through the year. Can you believe that! On Sunday the clocks spring forward an hour, and the mornings will be lighter, though we have woken up to bright sun for a couple of days now.

But it hasn't been all sunshaine this week. It has been extremely windy, and still is despite the sun, and we even had one day of rain. It was not enough but still very welcome. I have just read on Facebook that the wind has brought a big tree down on a very busy roundabout in Vera, and we are on yellow alert for high winds and dangerous waves on the coast. Yesterday I came home from my sewing group to find one side of my sheet had lost its pegs and was streaming out over next door's garden like a huge flag. I managed to wrestle it in without dragging it on the ground, and it was at least dry, along with the rest of the washing which was all tangled round the line!

The rain started in the evening and the cats were not a bit impressed, so they all came in and climbed on me. I had little Luna on my lap which is a rare occurance, but she does come in a bit more now we no longer have a dog. Tango sat next me, wondering why there was an interloper on 'his' lap. (He has a black mark on his face because he sat under a car!) Tolly was asleep next to me, quite uninterested in what anyone else was doing, and Leo took his usual spot near the top of his climbing tower, and watched us all with interest. Needless to say I didn't get much crochet nor anything else done that night.

Sunday was Palm Sunday and our little church gathered outside for the Liturgy of the Palms. We were ably led by our locum priest Father Dennis, and my dear friend Margie as his assistant. After the palms were blessed David hurried in to play the organ and we processed back inside while singing "All glory, laud and honour, to Thee Redeemer King". We are only a small gathering but we make a good noise when we sing.

Today there was an Easter Market at the camp site near here, and we went along as I knew the lady I buy clothes from would be there. She had a lot of end of season sale items, so I treated myself to some new tops. The weather is so changeable and I am finding I need some lighter clothes. Usually I go from winter trousers and warm jumpers, straight into summer dresses, but this year I am still in light weight trousers so I needed a few lighter weight tops to go with them. I ended up with a loose knit, short-sleeved blue one, and a very light thin wollen long sleeved blue one, a white thin jumper with gold stars on the front, a cerise thin long sleeved tee-shirt, (I find them so comfortable). And from the new summer stock I bought a very loose, cheese-cloth top that will be great for covering up in the sun, when summer comes. Because of the wind we didn't hang around for long. All the stall keepers were struggling to hold on to their wares, so I think it probably closed early any way.

When I got home I did my traditional Easter bake session to make hot-cross buns. In the end I decided to do something a bit different so I made just two buns for our Friday breakfast, and the rest of the dough made a 'hot-cross bun-loaf'. It will be much easier to toast and that's how we both like it. I also didn't put the ususal sugar glaze on them. It makes them very sticky, and I really don't need any extra sugar. I also made a loaf of bread using white flour with just a little oatmeal and oat bran added.

I am sure you are all aware of the store IKEA so famous for its flat-packed furniture, so I hope you will be amused as I was by this picture I saw earlier in the  week.

And now I wish you all every blessing for Easter time. I hope you all enjoy the weekend with family or friends, or just doing what whatever makes you happy. 

So now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles over on her blog.

6 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, lucky you with your cats!
An Easter market! I don´t think we have that. Maybe luckily ;-) I´d buy (too much).

Hmmm. In my home town we had "Easter-nests", it was some salty bread - 60km further on here in Braunschweig you do not get it!
You do get it, a friend once presented me with it. Was sweet, ughhh.... Thank you for the memories!
IKEA; LOL.
Have a wonderful Easter! Hugs

Annie said...

Will you wash Tango's face? I have a feeling he won't like it much. I can smell your baking from here....yum yum. I love your new tops. Hope you have a lovely Easter.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

I see you got some of the 'weather' too. Scary about the tree in Vera. And not to mention your tangled washing.
It was great to see each of your fur-babies. I can well imagine you got nothing done.
How nice that you could be outside to process (round the church?) on Palm Sunday. I will be here on Easter Sunday, but the Sunday after Easter I will be staying in Garrucha with my daughter. We'll be looking to go to church somewhere. I'm sure you can point me in the right direction. Will message you separately.
Have a blessed Easter both of you,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate sorry I'm a bit late as I've been in the cabin and got carried away and forgot what time it was. It's been windy here this week then rain this morning and now it's sunny, guess that's spring for you. The cats know all the best places for sure. The Baking looks good too. Have a happy Easter. Hugs Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

May you have a blessed Easter, Kate, and your husband.. oh, and cats.
We are having quite a blustery Autumn here - and it's very quickly got COLD too - no slow wind down from summer this year...
I had a cat who had oil marks on his head for a while - not sure how or where he got them, but they were a frequent occurrence there for a while...
Your Palm Sunday sounds a great service - and that clothes haul looks fabulous!
I don't bake for Easter no that i live with DD and family as they have gluten and dairy intolerances... I will buy some buns for myself though.
Thanks for the giggle with the Ikea chocolate
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Oh your weather has normally settled by now hasn't it, hope it isn't causing too many issues. The new tops sound lovely and hopefully will work in between seasons.

Loving the photos of the cats and had to small at the dark mark from under the car.

The Easter baking looks lovely and we too prefer toasted hot cross buns so that would be ideal.

Hugs