Friday, March 22, 2024

Friday Smiles 2024# Week 12

It is the end of another lovely week with a feel of a mild summer to it. I would be happy for weather like this all year round. I have even shed some of my winter clothes and am only wearing a tee-shirt over thin trousers this week. (That doesn't leave much to take off when the real summer arrives!!) We have had a few drops of rain this week but are hoping for more next week. The time for rain will soon be gone and everywhere is so dry.

But we took advantage of the sun to go for a walk. I had to miss my sewing group again this week as Chris had a doctor's appointment and I go with him to translate. But we were only there for a few minutes so I suggested we should go for a short drive to the coast for some exercise. We decided to go to Villaricos, a few miles along the coast towards Murcia. We lived near there when we first arrived in Spain and used to like walking along the sea-front there. It has been massively modernised since then, and now has a long brick-paved promenade, with plenty of stone benches for resting and admiring the view. There are a lot of rocks emerging from the water which means there is a gentle background nose of waves breaking around them, which I really love. This is the view as we walked down the steep path from the main road where we parked the car.

It is always quite peaceful there, and yesterday there was hardly a soul about. We stopped at one of the benches to take selfie.

On one side of us was a rocky bay...

...and on the other were the newer built apartments with the mountains as a backdrop.

The wild flowers are beginning to open everywhere like these pretty pink trumpets, like a small ground-cover convolvulous, (the large white trumpet flower that is the bane of English gardeners life). Soon these will cover wide areas of campo land. 

Then there is the oxalis. Although this is a rather hard, acidic yellow, it grows so profusely, and makes such large areas of vivid colour, that you can't help liking it. And the individual flowers are so pretty.

We also saw this enormous cacti 'tree'. Its top had been full of flowers which were now small baby plants that usually fall and die, though some will stay and make even more branches for next year. They always amaze me as the 'trunk' is often a fairly slender single stem, and you wonder how it can hold when the high winds come.

We eventually turned inland and wandered up through the little village, which again was very quiet with many of the shops closed. This used to be a mining town for tin but the mine buildings are all in ruins now. A few years ago I was told that many of the inhabitants have small, simple dwellings near the agricultural sites where  they work, and only return to Villaricos for the weekends, which may explain why so many shops were closed. It does have a big, street market every Sunday, and is a busy little place during the summer months.

At the top of the village we passed the church which had attractive tile inserts on either side of the door. It was a pleasant walk and I doubled my usual step count for the day, so that was good too.

This is the strawberry season in Spain and there are plenty to be bought in the market. They are around 4.50€ per kilo at the minute which is quite good, and about the same as they were last year. But this week I saw one stall that had a separate tray of them marked at 3.50€ per kilo and 3€ for 2 kilo. I thought they were just trying to get shot of last week's supply but they weren't over-ripe, just fairly small and some were a bit misshapen, so I bought 2 kilos and that afternoon I prepared them all. There was no waste at all.


I removed all the flower tops and weighed the fruit as I went, keeping back a few of the best ones for us to eat. Then I set about making jam with the rest, using lemons picked straight from our tree to help it gel.

Soon I had eight jars of ruby red jam. It set way better than my strawberry jam usually does, and this is more than enough for us to use throughout the year. I no longer make jam to sell, but this is the one that we both like and I do use it regularly. Mainly for Chris of course because of my diabetes, though I do allow myself a little bit occasionally.

Apart from that I have been busy making more Christmas cards, and planning other papercraft project.

I have spent a long time on the internet chatting with Ben. We always find plenty to talk about.

I have also tried several cooking experiments with my new Ninja and I am very pleased with the results so far. I have ordered a recipe book that is supposed to take you step by step through some basic ideas so I have high hopes for that. The book which came with it has several recipes for fancy meals but little information on how to cook the simple every day things, so it has been a bit of trial and error, but there have been no major failures.

So now it is time to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and see your happy moments from the past week.


5 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I Kate, got to be quick today as I have an appointment and I'm on my own for a few days so lots to do. It looks like you two had a lovely day out no wonder you both look so happy. I love the Spanish churches they are so different to ours and the French ones too all so different in their styles. I think I might have eaten all the strawberries actually before they reached the jam stage Hee! Hee! Sending hugs Angela xXx

Iris Flavia said...

Your coast trip sounds wonderful, as your temps - I still have my winter-Gurri and thick clothes.
Haha, selfie ;-) A cute, happy one, btw!
Wow on the cacti! You already have strawberry-season?! Wow, enjoy!
Nice you can chat so long! I haven´t heard from my Brother in a while (despite offering he can call anytime when it suits him (he has kids).
Great you have fun with the Ninja! To a great Friday and weekend, hugs

Annie said...

Your jam looks so yummy....like you I don't eat a lot but a little does you good at times. You are so lucky to get fresh fruit like that.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Yes,it's been nice weather here too. Apart from the calima, which has finished now, it appears. I hope the weather will be nice when my daughter comes on the 4th of April. I have booked a hotel in Garrucha for the week.
Strawberries, yum. We pay 4,50 a kilo too. I have had a box in the fridge for more than a week. I have them for breakfast. As they are fresh, I inmediatley wash and cut the green bits off and then put them the right way up in shallow tupperware boxes. That way they will keep for more than a week.
Amazing cactus!
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Ah your weather is turning milder, we have woken to blue skies but it is cold out at the moment, mind you we had high winds overnight. We have a fence that needs replacing I didn't think that it would survive the night but it has, we definitely need to get that sorted.

Your venture out along the coast looks lovely, a walk along the beach sounds like bliss at the moment, I could definitely cope with that if I'm honest.

The strawberry jam looks mighty tasty too, I assume the addition of the lemon helped it set, I know it was one my Mum often struggled to set when I was younger.

I hope you have a good weekend and week ahead.

Hugs